Do you love to write? Do you enjoy documenting the world through video and photos? Do you want to report the news in print, on the Web, on television and radio? Can you see yourself creating advertisements for a big agency or working for a public relations firm or nonprofit agency? If so, we invite you to join the Journalism Community at Kerr Hall. By living on the wing, you can build friendships with others interested in news, advertising and PR. The networking and community-building opportunities are priceless. If you plan to major in journalism or simply have an interest and want to learn more, this community is the perfect place for you. You'll get personal attention and interaction with our friendly journalism faculty. You'll have opportunities to meet many media professionals in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We'll help you find media internships and jobs. As a resident, you'll find out more about:
- Working at our student newspaper, the North Texas Daily, and its Web site, www.ntdaily.com
- Taking our courses in multimedia journalism (TV, radio, web) which produce content for our Web site: www.ntnewsnet.com, Denton TV, and Denton Live magazine.
- Learning magazine production.
- Joining one of our student organizations, including the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ), the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), the Advertising Club, the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) and the National Society of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ).
- Field trips to area TV stations, newspapers, ad agencies, PR firms.
- Meetings with and advice from professionals working in the media industry.
To apply for the Journalism REAL Community located in Kerr Hall select the REAL Community option on the Application Type step of the Housing application.